No Comments

One simple device that could save renters’ lives

More than 400 people every year die at the mercy of an invisible killer. Their deaths could be prevented with the installation of a device that hangs right next to the smoke detector. That killer is a clear, odorless gas produced by burning fuels such as natural gas, charcoal, wood, kerosene, or oil, and its name is carbon monoxide.

Carbon monoxide detectors are inexpensive and unobtrusive, and required by law in many US states. While modern heating and cooking sources don’t usually produce the gas, a car left in an attached garage could fill a home with the deadly poison in a matter of minutes. During a power outage, residents might use kerosene or oil lanterns or heat sources, unwittingly exposing themselves and their families to carbon monoxide. More than 50,000 people visit emergency rooms each year for carbon monoxide poisoning, but the presence of a CO detector can help prevent loss of life from the unseen killer.

Install CO detectors near bedrooms to alert residents to the presence of carbon monoxide, even at night. For just a few dollars and a new battery twice a year, those detectors may never sound an alarm. Then again, they might, and just one family saved is worth a building full of prevention.

Contact Class A Management to learn more about how our managers can help safeguard your property and residents. Call us today at 817-295-5959 or e-mail us at . We know safety, and we know property management.